วันเสาร์ที่ 18 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2555

Long Term Impression of Apple's Macbook Air

The Macbook Air is perhaps the sexiest laptop in the world, even now, years after its launch. Nothing looks quite like it, with the beautiful unibody (yes, it was beyond doubt the first unibody laptop from Apple) aluminum construction and sculpted shape. Even after owning it for a while, I still admire the pewter-like finish.

Much has been criticized about the Macbook Air though, with most remarks being about the gismo lacking an optical drive, its price, or not having much connectivity. Some of the annotation has been directed at the Air being underpowered as well.

Laptop Ssd

While I do have my own criticisms, most of the opinions mentioned above I do not agree with. The Macbook Air is targeted at a safe bet type of individual. This someone is fairly well-off, meaning they don't need or want one gismo to do it all. They don't want to watch Dvds on their laptop, because they have a great home theater at home. They do not want to use this as a work laptop, because they may already have one, or prefer to do their work on a proper suited desktop.

I fit the demographic mentioned above, for the most part. I'm not well off though, and even if I was, I would not pay the best part of two grand for this laptop. It is most beyond doubt not worth the retail prices that Apple charges for the discrete configurations. I bought mine refurbished from Apple, for about half the price of a new one. It came with the same warranty, and was essentially brand new with only 3 cycles on the battery.

So after paying half of retail and having it for a while, what do I think? I think that I made the right decision, but of course, there are shortcomings. I'll start with the good though. Apple did include the most important things. What they got right was the screen (same size as the acceptable Macbook, but of much best quality), the full-size, backlit keyboard, the very large and very functional trackpad, the weight and ease of carrying it and the along with of a dual-core Cpu, 2 Gb of Ram, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi 802.11n.

All these things make it a very functional laptop. The full-size keyboard with tactile feedback that is far beyond most laptops is something I find to be beyond doubt necessary. I don't feel the need to go to my desktop with it. It might seem frivolous, but I love the keyboard being backlit. I also regularly hate trackpads, but the exceptionally large one in the Air is great, both in terms of response, and the ability that it adds when in Mac Os X (multi-touch features). This is the only laptop where I don't feel that I need to have a mouse. With Bluetooth and N-grade Wi-Fi built in, you're connected very well wirelessly, so no dongles are necessary, which is great. I like the inclusion of a decent ability webcam and microphone; every laptop should have this.

So where does it falter? I beyond doubt hate that you can't upgrade the Ram. I'm already at a point where I feel 2 Gb is not adequate anymore. So what can I do? Nothing. My only selection is to sell it and get something else. That's no good at all. I also wonder why they couldn't just have included an optical drive. I have never felt the need for it, until recently when I installed Windows 7 on the Macbook Air (in a dual-boot configuration). It was difficult as (expletive of your choice) without an optical drive, and I didn't like the idea of buying a 0 Apple Superdrive for just this purpose. Maybe Apple should make it so that Remote Disc Sharing can be used for this purpose too, which would alleviate my only complaint about the optical drive's presence.

The speakers on the Macbook Air are not great. Actually, that was inaccurate. The speaker, not speakers, aren't great. That's right, there's only one, and you'll know it, because sound comes out the right side of the laptop. I was shocked when I first noticed this, but I've gotten used to it as the volume is okay - best than the acceptable plastic Macbook. My final issue is with the included hard drive. I have the model with the Pata 80Gb hard drive that spins at a leisurely 4200 rpm. It can beyond doubt make the contact feel slower than it should be. This can be addressed by changing the hard drive, but I'm not sure the average owner is up to that. Newer models are Sata and have faster options, even Ssds, so that takes care of this qoute somewhat, but then we come back to the price.

My quick take is based on the price I paid, which is about half of the retail price. At full retail price, flat out, I don't propose it. I do, however, think it's a good value at refurbished price, even given the shortcomings I mentioned. This is Apple's idea of a netbook. It's more usable than any netbook, and at about a grand or a bit less, is a best value than those cheaply-made, single-core netbooks for 0-0.

See Also : review plasma hdtv office supplies store printer ink toner http://dyomoprinter.blogspot.com/ http://polardprinter.blogspot.com/ http://tssprinter.blogspot.com/

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น